Monday, April 4, 2011

Dual Enrollment Meeting

We just got home from a meeting about dual enrollment at a local College for my 16 year old! We just got home from a meeting about dual enrollment at a local College for my 16 year old! We just got home from a meeting about dual enrollment at a local College for my 16 year old!  OKAY, no matter how many times I say it I still can't believe it's true!  How did we get here SO FAST???

I have to remind myself that this has always been "the plan".  I can remember when he was young talking about how we wanted to get him to a place where he could start taking College classes when he was 16.  While it feels GREAT to be to a place where we are accomplishing that goal, it also feels impossible that it's here ALREADY!

For my son it is a HUGE advantage!  If all goes well he could have as much as a year and a half of College credits under his belt by the time he graduated high school!  (What an awesome advantage!) Plus it's a gentle way to introduce him to the world of College.  Taking one or 2 classes will not be nearly as intimidating now as taking a full load his Freshman year of College.  So I know it's all good!  But, I am still pretty much in shock and denial! LOL

One thing  that I REALLY loved about today is that the meeting we went to was specifically for homeschoolers!  I had no idea this was the case when we signed up for it.  I just figured it was for all dual enrollment students.  When we got there it was really neat to see the College reaching out and valuing the homeschool community!  The Head of the Department even told the kids that he had no worries about them passing the placement test because the homeschoolers always have higher test results than the rest of the high school population.  I thought it was awesome that he was recognizing that!  (He said this was only the 2nd year they have held this meeting just for homeschoolers!) Having homeschooled for SO many years by now it is really neat to see how homeschooling is becoming so accepted by the mainstream population!  I remember people asking me if this was even legal when we first started this in 1996! 

Okay, I will be stopping and taking a lot of extra deep breathes today.  I am happy and proud of where my son is right now....but, I must admit my mommy heart really wishes we could rewind back to the beginning and do it all again!

:^)

Mom